3/8/10

spinach and goat cheese pizza

This recipe is one that I posted on my real blog last summer.

I love it.

Because I love pizza.

And Because I love spinach.

And because I love goat cheese (but you could easily substitute feta or any ol' cheese you like).


Ingredients:

1 Pillsbury classic pizza crust (found in cookie dough section of most grocery stores)
1 jar of your favorite marinara sauce
extra virgin olive oil
2 tomatoes
1 small - medium onion
salt
2 cloves garlic minced
mozzarella cheese
goat cheese


First, roll out pizza crust onto a cookie sheet and use a fork to poke little holes in crust (except for the edges). I'm sure there is a technical cooking term for this little hole poking, but I just don't know it. The purpose is to keep the crust from rising too much in the center.


Cook as directed on 425 degrees for NINE minutes. Remove from oven, set aside.

While crust is cooking coat saute pan with olive oil and turn to medium heat.

And then thinly slice your onion and begin to caramelize until nice and brown. Add a little pinch of salt if you like. Toward the end of the onion cooking add minced garlic.

Now spread marinara sauce over crust and layer tomato slices (thinly sliced). Top with onions.


And then with tons of spinach. Don't be afraid to really pile it up.


Next comes mozzarella cheese. I used fresh, but grated would be perfectly fine too.

After mozzarella, add goat cheese crumbles.

Brush edges of crust with a little olive oil.

Now place back in oven for 5-7 minutes until cheese is melted and spinach begins to wilt.

Like so...


Lastly, ask your spouse to pose with the pizza. '

This is what happens when you become a food blogger.

Things get really silly in the kitchen.

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love vegetarian pizza. I'm going to try this (maybe with whole wheat pizza crust from Trader Joe's).

    I am really enjoying your food blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex would love this. He is a big spinach fan. I'm going to make this really soon. Oh, and I love the pic of Stephen posing with the pizza!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow I just now discovered this whole other blog you've been putting together of food, and I've scrolled all the way down to here to see that picture of Stephen, and it had me laughing out loud :) This is all great stuff, SB!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...