good deli ham
extra sharp cheddar cheese
Slather bread with butter, pile on ingredients, and cook on stove top just like you would any ol' grilled cheese until bread is well browned and cheese is melted. The banana peppers make this ham and cheese really exciting.
We ate this sandwich along side split pea soup (Ina Garten's recipe). I've posted about split pea soup before and the response was one of surprise that I (and Stephen Grande) would enjoy such a soup. Though some find it hard to believe, we think split pea soup is wonderful not to mention quite healthy.
I usually half this recipe because it makes a lot.
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 cup good olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups medium-diced carrots (3 to 4 carrots)
- 1 cup medium-diced red boiling potatoes, unpeeled (3 small)
- 1 pound dried split green peas
- 8 cups chicken stock or water